Snowbound Surprise: Powderhorns’s Unexpected Extension

Gavin Parker catching air at Sunlight Mountain Resort 
Photo Provided by: Gavin Parker
Gavin Parker catching air at Sunlight Mountain Resort Photo Provided by: Gavin Parker

With Powderhorn Ski Resort having a 66-inch base and over 22 feet of snowfall over the course of the spectacular 2023-2024 season, it was just announced the closing date will extend to April 12-14! The resort will close as scheduled from Monday, April 8 through Thursday, April 11, then reopen for more great spring laps Friday through Sunday. Gavin Parker a Sophomore at Palisade High School has a great love for skiing and has been skiing most his life. Parker explains, “With skiing, I really like finding unridden paths and going deep into glades and I also love ripping down groomers.” These bonus days contribute to the ability to do these enjoyable parts of skiing which pushes the total operating days over this winter to 139, marking the longest season on record. Parker says, “I had a very successful year. I think I went up close to 20 times which is good considering balancing school and extracurriculars.” The last day of Powderhorn’s winter season also marks the annual Pond Skim which is where the lower terrain park is turned into a pond in which 75 people try to carry enough speed to make it across on skis. Parker shares his excitement on the bonus days stating, “Im stoked! The bonus days mean there are more days of skiing which means more days to do what I love. I am definitely going to go up on that weekend just to get as many days in as possible.” As Powderhorn Ski Resort extends its closing dates, skiers like Gavin Parker are thrilled to continue their passions for skiing. The extended season not only offers more opportunities for exciting runs but also marks a milestone for Powderhorn with its longest operating season on record.