Girls Lax defeats Montrose

Game against Eagle Valley on March 9. Photo provided by Madi DeGeorge.

Returning from spring break can be difficult for most, but not for the Junction girls lacrosse team. Varsity rose from these difficulties and dominated the Montrose Red Hawks on March 25. 

Despite Junction’s win, their energy levels fluctuated throughout the first half. Sophomore Madi DeGeorge admitted, “We had a slow start but made adjustments to implement in the second quarter.” Each team made great efforts to score goals throughout different strategies. 

Going into the second half the captains urged the Tigers to pick up the energy, ultimately to set up their offense in order to run the plays. This is DeGeorge’s first year as a captain. She reflects, “We have past success against Montrose so we played with low energy. By the second quarter we picked it up and started to play Junction lacrosse.” 

The Tigers’ victory is primarily attributed to the strong skills they have been developing this early into the season. DeGeorge explains, “The team worked really well. Our defense was really good and played well in the ride and transition. We dominated on attack and controlled the pace of the game in the second half.” 

Ending the game with 14-5, the Tigers roared in pride and success. DeGeorge concludes, “I had a bad first half but definitely improved in the second half. I got six goals and I PR’ed.” 

Girls lacrosse has been building up their tactics with confidence. Each game mirrors their persistence. “Some of us got frustrated by the way we were playing and the calling of the game. But, it is important to play Junction lacrosse and promote our dedication,” exclaims DeGeorge. 

The next game is March 29 against Telluride at Canyon View.