Varsity girls soccer dominates the Tigers

Ryan Pomeroy looking for a pass up the field. Photo provided by Sofia Reitz.

Palisade’s varsity girls soccer team is back and better than ever. They fiercely approached the first game of the season on March 7th against the Grand Junction Tigers.

The game started off slow but picked up pace after the first fifteen minutes. The bulldogs were able to maneuver the ball quickly, which ultimately kept it from the Tigers. About twenty minutes into the second half, Junior Ryan Pomeroy passed the ball to Senior Mia De Villegas-Decker in which she scored the game winner. The supportive student section cheered while the players celebrated their first official goal of the season. Pomeroy was selected the Palisade player of the game by MaxPreps.

Sophomore Kate Fricke is a strong varsity player. She plays wing, forward and attacking mid. During the game, Fricke made killer passes and good scoring opportunities. “I was recovering from being sick so I couldn’t breathe very well. But, I did my best,” said Fricke. 

Persistence embodies Palisade’s soccer players. “There were a couple shots that were unfortunately called offsides,” Fricke stated. Nevertheless, the Bulldogs retained their intensity and made it difficult for the Tigers to score. Junction only had four shots on goal.

Fricke reflected, “This year, Junction has freshmen that played on a club team so that gave us some competition. It was good to win our first game. This boosted our confidence for the season.”

This season is bound to thrive, with eight seniors and a multitude of new talent. Fricke expressed, “We all know each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Outside of soccer, we are still tight knit and communicate well.” 

Hopefully this win becomes a constant in this year’s season. Go Bulldogs!