Designing Your Future

Gaby Suazo
Katalyne Hean marking off her preferred courses.

Palisade High School has multiple opportunities for students to achieve success in their preferred field. Some choose to take Advanced Placement (AP) courses, others venture to Colorado Mesa University to tackle college material. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is a track that many Palisade students accomplish. This program is designed to stretch students academically and insert global perspectives.

Rising Juniors on the IB track are composing their schedules. The choices between certain classes can impact the rest of their high school careers and beyond. Katalyne Hean, a Pre-DP sophomore explains her recent experiences. “I had a lot of hard choices to make and I think I’m set on my schedule now. It’s been a week since Ms. Popick, Ms. Steves, and other teachers have explained the courses to us. I have had time to reflect and decide what classes would be the best fit for me.”

IB has pathways for students to achieve their passions and prepare them for their future careers. The difficulty difference of classes are categorized by Standard Level (SL) and Higher Level (HL). Hean admits, “I will take SL Spanish because I think HL will be too challenging for me. I don’t really foresee being fluent as a benefit to me.” 

There are two science options in the program, Environmental Social Sciences (ESS) and Biology. “I will take ESS instead of Biology. I don’t want to go down a medical career or anything that involves science. The way Mr. Korte explained ESS was more appealing because it’s more problem solving and real world issues,” says Hean. 

Finally, IB students can select an elective that resonates the most with them. They include Film, Visual Arts, Business, and Theater. Hean expresses her troubles in deciding her path. “IB Film and IB Business was the hardest choice. Ultimately, I felt like IB Film was the most interesting. I can learn about business in college, but when will I get the chance to make my own movie? I want to explore different interests now.”

Unfortunately, IB Music is not available this year due to the vacancy of the teaching role. Many musically inclined students depended on this choice for their elective. This has upsetted a number of band, orchestra, and choir kids. Sophomore Eli Jordan plays the trumpet and is a passionate figure in Palisade’s music department. Jordan was relying on IB Music but now he has steered towards IB Film or Art. “It was the only reason I wanted to do IB. I am really disappointed.”

Pre-DP sophomores are gearing up for next year. Each class is bound to challenge students, but this is what makes the IB Program so special. “Learning about my future classes has motivated me. I think I’m prepared because upperclassmen including my sister have given me advice, mostly about not procrastinating,” closes Hean.