The Night of Nights

Lincoln Park Barn painted with Van Gogh’s Memories. Photo provided by Ian Shiao.

Winter Formal is always a fantastic time for PHS students to have fun, unite with friends, and dance the night away. This year’s dance was a collective smash thanks to Palisade’s detail oriented StuCo.

On February 3rd, Lincoln Park Barn was filled with Van Gogh’s Painted Memories from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. All Palisade students are encouraged to attend, even with out of school dates. This year’s Winter Formal was meticulously plotted for months on end. As Sophomore class president, it was Ian Shiao’s responsibility to take charge of organizing the dance. “Planning Winter Formal took a long time. I’ve been planning since the beginning of November. I designed multiple calendars and booked the venue in early December. I sketched how I wanted the dance to look like as well.”

Motifs to Vincent Van Gogh’s artwork were seen throughout the barn. These included yellow and blue balloons derived from The Starry Night, projections of his famous pieces, and sunset lamps creating satisfying mood lighting. The back tables even had centerpieces of sunflowers, Van Gogh’s signature. 

Shiao expresses, “The best part of the dance was when All Your’n was played as the slow dance. Also, the transition from Fe!n to I Just Wanna Rock was hype.” Shiao achieved a multitude of success considering the turnout and profit. However, StuCo faced some challenges. “It had its troubles because [our advisor] Mr. Smith wasn’t there the week before the dance.” Despite Mr. Smith’s absence, StuCo persisted and created fun memories for everyone to cherish. 

Sophomore Siena Miller attended the dance and thought it was a great experience.

“Dances are always a great way to connect with different people and have fun with people you wouldn’t really bond with normally. It’s so exciting, especially when it’s one of many firsts as a freshman.”

Miller agreed that StuCo did fantastic, like always. “The theme was so unique. The decorations matched it perfectly.