Wrestling Bulldogs Destroy the North Fork Miners

Trevin+Brannon+wrestling+at+Tournament+of+Champions+
Samantha Wilcken
Trevin Brannon wrestling at Tournament of Champions

Wrestling is in full swing so far this season with a huge community and following here at Palisade High. Over 40 wrestlers compete this season, ready to put their all into every match, and show up and show out for their team.

This past Friday, January 19th, our Bulldogs traveled down to North Fork, to compete in a close, but incredibly exhilarating duel against the Miners. After a close competition, our Bulldogs took this win in the last few matches. Our vast team all came to support each other and provide a helping hand, but only around 20 of our wrestlers competed in this particular duel.

Trevin Brannon, a multi-sport senior athlete, was one of our wrestlers in this duel. Brannan has been wrestling all four years of high school, and wrestles in the 150 weight class. “So far this season it’s been very up and down for sure. Wev’e had our wins and we’ve had our losses. Dual wise, we’ve been doing really well, we’ve only lost 5 out of like 16 or 17.” Brannon says. “Out of the five we’ve lost we could either definitely wrestle them again and probably beat them or get pretty close. We’ve done well as a team, it’s nice to have that team bond, it really helps.”

Team bonding is an incredibly important aspect of Palisade Athletics. Whether the sport is team or individual, the connection between your fellow teammates has proven to be an incredibly important factor to each success. 

Wrestling is one of the most physically challenging sports out there, but according to Brannon, is “way more of a mental battle than people realize.” Brannon did not win his match in this duel, but is ready to bounce back and take the next one. “Even though it’s an individual sport you kind of have to think outside of yourself. You can’t beat yourself too hard when losing your own match, it’s important to celebrate the win as a team, and learn from your mistakes.”

This Thursday, January 25th, is Senior night for our Bulldogs. Be there to celebrate and congratulate our Senior athletes, and go Bulldogs! 

“Wrestle smart, wrestle hard. And that’s all we can really ask for. It’s not about the wins and losses, but about the effort you’re putting onto the floor.”

— Trevin Brannon