Glistening Parade of Lights

Fruita+and+Palisade+cheer+team+performing+at+the+Grand+Junction+parade+of+lights.+%0ACredit%3A+Roni+Culver.+
Fruita and Palisade cheer team performing at the Grand Junction parade of lights. Credit: Roni Culver.

Nothing shouts Christmas more than a good ol’ parade of lights. 

This past weekend, the Palisade parade and the Grand Junction parade were a joy to watch. Various Palisade students participated in both parades, including the marching band in the Olde Fashioned Christmas Palisade parade and our very own cheer team, teamed up with Fruita’s cheer team, in the Grand Junction parade. The Palisade parade included hot cocoa, lights and songs. Although marching band season is over, that doesn’t mean the musicians don’t band during the off-season. “I liked it, it was cold but it was fun,” says percussionist Judah Steele in the marching band, “My hands were pretty cold, I could barely hit the notes right..” Temperatures were cold the night of December 1st during the Palisade parade, and so was the Grand Junction parade on the 2nd. In an attempt to make cheerleading something fun without rivalries, Palisade cheerleaders befriended Fruita’s cheerleaders. This was a great bonding experience for both of the teams, and it is already set in stone that this will be a friendship that will grow even more. “I enjoyed partnering up with the Fruita team,” says junior cheerleader Alexa Talavera, “they’re all so nice and our friendship with them is great.” Palisade cheerleaders even went to the State Championships with Fruita last week, supporting them in the stands as they did the same for the Dogs. The parade of glistening lights in both towns was worth the cold temperatures.