“White Christmas”: The Perfect Beginning to the Holiday Season

Serena Flanigan and Alivia Sanchez performing “Sisters”

Our favorite time of year has finally rolled around, with red and green littered everywhere, hot-cocoa scented breath, snowflakes dancing through the air, and everyone dreaming of a White Christmas.
The Palisade High School Performing Arts Department put on a magical performance of Irving Berlin’s White Christmas this year, bringing holiday spirit to all students, staff, and parents of Palisade. The Paramount Pictures Film-based musical showed December 7th through the 9th every evening, with a Saturday matinee.
The cast this year consisted of wildly talented and eccentric students, making the performance all the more worthwhile to watch and enjoy. Senior Solomon Brown and Junior Teegan Brannan played two very contrasting veterans and performers, Bob Wallace and Phil Davis. Their roles’ opposing personalities added a delightful sense of humor and laughter to the production. With romance in mind, the two followed another musical duo, sisters Betty and Judy Haynes, played by Seniors Alivia Sanchez and Serena Flanigan. The two performed the iconic classic, “Sisters,” which certainly lit up the audience, complete with two blue dresses and huge feather fans.
The cast this year also included lots of younger talent, with Sophomore Beau Roberts nailing his role as General Henry Waverly, with faux wrinkle lines and a perfect accent. Regyn Coolbaugh also stood out in her role of Martha Watson, the General’s lovable and nosy housekeeper and a retired Broadway performer. Coolbaugh’s vocal solo of “Let Me Sing and I’m Happy” left the audience in complete and total awe, and in shock to read their programs and find that she is only a Sophomore.
“I think that the underclassmen have a lot of potential and I think that many of them, while it may only be their second musical, there’s so many good singers and actors and I’m very excited to see what kind of stuff they’re going to do.” says Flanigan, “There’s a lot of talent there and I really think that they’re going to go far.”
Tons of work and dedication goes into each and every production from the PHS Drama Department. Every practice is upwards of 4 hours, increasing with every day closer to the opening performance. Every single Saturday, the cast came in and worked on the props and sets from 9am to around 3pm.
The production would not be quite as magical without the seamless help of the crew, and the incredibly talented pit orchestra directed by Carissa Docteur.
But the individuals who truly make the performance possible are the several directors who put their whole heart into each and every show. Musical and Head Director Matthew Doty, Assistant Director and Costume Designer Sarah VanBenschoten, Choreographer Lana Rogal, and Set Designer Frank Davidson are the incredible behind the scenes workers, providing help, kindness, and inspiration to every student.
The cast values this production team so much, that at the last night of every show, the seniors give flowers and a speech of appreciation to each member. The juniors also have a tradition of honoring the seniors, with a rose, a speech, and a long tear-filled hug.
The Drama department now is on to preparing for their spring play, a comedic performance of the classic, Hamlet. Incredible job this production, and we can’t wait to see you again in the spring.

“Most importantly, don’t be afraid of being obnoxious and out there. Be almost too much. Too much in your personal life is not enough on the stage. You have to be able to turn it up, not only your singing but your facials, your personality, and your characterism.”

— Serena Flanigan