Maroon vs. White: It’s A Dog Eat Dog World

Our favorite season is finally here, with lively student sections and an incredible group of Bulldogs to lead us to victory. The 2023-24 basketball season opened this year with a competitive team scrimmage, on Saturday the 18th, called the Maroon and White game. In this match, the coaches from both the boys and girls teams drafted two teams, consisting of a combination of Varsity and Junior Varsity. 

The scrimmage was treated as any other game during the season, with jerseys, a full score, and actual referees. Almost three weeks deep into the season, the competition was hot and the tensions were high. The boys team ended with an incredibly close score, the maroon team having only won by two points. Jackson Martin, a sophomore athlete on the JV team this season was a member of the winning team. “I think this game was good for getting actual game-style reps in before any of our real matches.” Martin explains. 

The girls team had a similarly close match, putting their all into each point. For the first three quarters, the JV and Varsity teams are combined and competing against each other, but the fourth quarter was switched to being Varsity vs. JV. The tricky thing is the score from the first three quarters was kept, but the coaches made it so the Varsity team had the lower score. This forced them to work harder to catch back up, and made the final set a little more even. Even with this set back, there was no stopping the Varsity Lady Bulldogs, as they climbed their way back up and stole victory in the end. Madison DeGeorge, a sophomore on the JV team has been playing her whole life, and was a part of the team scrimmage. “I had a lot of fun, and I think it was super fun to play against our own  teammates and have that competitive level between each other so that we can compete together in a gam     e.”

Both teams compete in their first game today, November 30th and are set up well to dominate their competition. Good work so far this season Bulldogs, and we can’t wait to see you on our own home turf.