From Old to New!

The newly renovated gym Photo Provided by: Emily Hardin

On October 24, the local Palisade community came together in a ribbon-cutting event, celebrating the completed renovations of the former Palisade High School gym. The event ended several years of demolishing the main building of the former high school to make a health clinic in its place. The clinic was finished and opened in May.  Holly Wing, a former stunted student of the old Palisade High School explains how when she went to school there was an interesting set up having limited space. She states, “ I’m glad they decided to finally do something with the property instead of just letting it sit there, but I am a little sad that the old high school is technically gone now, it just held a lot of memories for me.” Although this renovation is one more thing that leaves the old town feeling in the past, this renovation has brought many benefits. Wing states, “I think the biggest benefit is that it became something useful for the town, it’s not like they made it into some corporate store, so I’m glad about that. I think the biggest use for the gym opening will be that people will be able to use it, even in the summer. Kids who play sports like volleyball or basketball would be able to easily practice in the old gym. And people can use it to just have fun and interact with one another.” This renovation has brought both joy and sadness upon the local community as Wing says, “I’m both excited for the renovation and sad. There’s just so much history behind the old high school, but the renovation was for a good cause.” Overall, the gym has brought a positive change within the community and will allow many opportunities for the younger generation as well as the already existing community.