Camp Flog Gnaw Shakes LA

Gaby Suazo
Eli Jordan rewatching Tyler, the Creator’s set of Camp Flog Gnaw 2023.

Tyler, the Creator has many alter egos, matching the vibe and tone of each carefully curated album. Not only is he a distinguished musician, but also the mastermind behind high end brands; Golf le Fleur and Golf Wang. Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival was especially crafted by Tyler to celebrate the developments of music and to just have fun. After a four year drought, the awaited festival made its way back to Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California. 

Concerts serve as a reviving outlet for music lovers and festivarians. Music festivals have been extinct due to COVID-19, but are making their way back to the scene. 

The return of Camp Flog Gnaw had fans wilding. Classic carnival activities such as a huge lit up ferris wheel, roller coasters, gourmet food trucks, and other games that induce nostalgia. The main attraction is of course the jam packed line up of the hottest artists, mostly R&B and rap, an homage to Tyler’s homeland. The Hillbillies, SZA, and Tyler, the Creator headlining makes for a crazy whirlwind of talent and passion. Also performing are newcomers like Ice Spice, d4vd, PinkPantheress, and Fuerza Regida. Veterans such as Rex Orange County, Kali Uchis, Turnstile return to the vibrantly lit scene with flair and experience. Other artists left a dent on the Flog stage and an imprint on the audience’s hearts. 

Sophomore Eli Jordan wished to experience Camp Flog Gnaw in all its glory. “It’s so awesome! I tried going but it didn’t work out. One of these days I will attend.” While watching the livestream by Amazon Music, Jordan observed, “He was sweating a lot. I mean, you don’t sweat that much unless you’re working hard.” 

The carnival was everything the audience wished for. Music surely unites and inspires the industry and community. Jordan concludes, “I love Tyler, the Creator. I’ve loved him since fifth grade. He’s super cool and I love how his passion shines through.”