When Should You Put Your Christmas Tree Up?

The+Christmas+tree+that+has+already+been+set+up+in+Mr.+Wyants+classroom+here+at+Palisade.+Photo+by+Brielle+Sorensen.+
The Christmas tree that has already been set up in Mr. Wyant’s classroom here at Palisade. Photo by Brielle Sorensen.

It’s a major debate that comes around each year and never ceases to stop: when is the right time to put your tree up? Some people aren’t afraid to admit they put their tree up as soon as November rolls around, while others are completely opposed to the idea. With each year that passes, Christmas trees seem to be going up earlier and earlier. Traditionally, the Christmas tree went up on the 22nd of December and marked the start of advent activities. But, recently the last week of November seems to be a popular time for families to put up the tree. “After Black Friday is over, then you can put your tree up,” says senior Joe Bravo. The time to put up the Christmas tree does vary from family to family, but it’s obvious that putting a tree up as soon as November is seen as an unpopular choice. Personally, I have to agree that putting up your tree at the end of November to the first week of December is the only correct choice. Why would you want to be so joyous for all of November anyways? It doesn’t even feel like Christmas yet in November and Thanksgiving is a holiday that shouldn’t be overrun or forgotten by Christmas. The Christmas lights aren’t even up yet on most houses in November, so why should your tree be up too? “A couple weeks ago I went to a store, I can’t remember exactly which one, and they already had a Thanksgiving stuff on sale because of all the Christmas decorations that just came in,” says substitute teacher Mrs. Griggs, “it was a little ridiculous to me because Thanksgiving hasn’t even officially happened yet.” There’s a lot of history behind the time you put your Christmas tree up as well. Traditionally, Christmas decorations wouldn’t be put up until the last possible moment with this trend continuing into the Victorian times with the tree as well. Putting your decorations up sooner rather than later was also traditionally meant to bring bad luck. With all this information, there seems to not be a need for all the early Christmas joy. Wait until Thanksgiving passes, then consider putting up your tree. But, this is only my very own personal opinion (that is very much correct).