New Indoor Track Team

Huddle making her last jump at Rifle meet Photo Provided by Lila Huddle

Track athletes just can’t get enough of their beloved sport as many Palisade students have enrolled in the new indoor track program taking place in the winter. This year, is the first year that all highschool athletes in the valley will have the opportunity to be in an indoor track team for the winter. The team is called Western Slope Elite Track where athletes can participate in four tournaments and practice at Junction High School various times a week depending on what their main event is. The practice schedule differs from most high school athletics in which specific events such as high jump will only be practiced twice a week to give students the opportunity to focus on only one event or allow them to try as many events as they like. The team travels to places like Idaho, Utah and Denver to participate in these meets. Lila Huddle, a sophomore at Palisade High School is going to be on the track team this year and participated in track last spring. As a freshman, Huddle participated in mostly high jump and a variety of relays and had a very accomplished year. Being only one inch away from going to state in high jump and accumulating enough points to letter, Huddle found a distinct motivation and love for the sport. Huddle states, “Track is my favorite sport and it is really fun. The team is like a family, and last year I experienced very supportive and nice coaches which made the whole experience good.” Huddle heard about the indoor track team about a month ago and explains how she is really looking forward to this new experience. “I am looking forward to meeting the coaches and building relationships with other students from the valley.” The coaches staff will be made up by coaches from all the highschools combined and the track coach from last spring at Palisade, Mrs. Reitz will be coaching. The indoor track team will not only give athletes the opportunity to grow and improve in their sport on the off season in a flexible way to work around other school sports, but allow them to meet different athletes and experience different coaching styles. The season is looking beneficial and exciting for many athletes as students enter this new experience.