Senior Spotlight: Football

Julian Tautua’a, Robert Cross, Kaleb Wells, and Marcus Royster on senior night. Photo taken by Jenny Brinton

This week we had the opportunity to interview the four seniors on the football team about their season and more. These four seniors are Kaleb Wells, Marcus Royster, Julian Tautua’a, and Robert Cross. The boys shared how their season went overall. Wells said, “There were ups and downs, but it was more of a learning experience, not just for us going into our future, but also a good learning experience for all of the younger football players.” Tautua’a added, “Like Kaleb said, we had our ups and downs, but through all of our downs we got through it all. We pushed through and stayed together as a team.” 

These senior boys have gained a lot of memories to look back on from their high school football career. “Our homecoming game was a highlight for me,” said Royster, followed by Cross saying, “I felt like there was good energy.” Tautua’a added, “Kaleb ran the ball over a whole lot of yards and we had like six picks that game. We all played well as a team.” Royster shared that his favorite memory was the team dinners. Wells added, “Honestly, that is the only day we all look forward to is them Thursdays.” They were asked what the best meal was and across the room all you could hear was “The briskets! That was amazing.” Tautua’a added, “Shoutout to the moms.” The moms play a huge role as they help prepare every team dinner on Thursdays. 

These memories that were made over the years and this season are going to be missed by our senior football players. “I am going to miss my coaches and I am DEFINITELY going to miss playing with you guys,” said Tautua’a. Wells added, “I am going to miss everybody and the relationships we have built.” 

The boys were asked what advice they would give to an incoming freshman athlete. “Don’t give up,” said Wells. “It gets hard, there is no doubt about that, but if you have a good mindset then everything gets easier in the end and more fun.” Royster added, “Especially those first two years, freshman and sophomore year, you get beat up a lot, but it is worth it.” Tautua’a said, “Try and have fun. Have fun with football and have fun with whatever you are doing.” These senior athletes have been through a lot through their high school football career. Congratulations boys on a good season.