Senior Night: The Final Season

Ava Wallit and Lauren Hardin at senior with their teammates. Photo provided by Grace McAnany

One of the most important parts of each sports season is creating a memorable night for the senior athletes at Palisade High School. Senior night is typically the last home game of the season, where we celebrate and honor all of the successes of the seniors, as well as appreciate and recognize the parents that helped get them through the last four years. 

This past Thursday, October 19th, was senior night for our volleyball Bulldogs, as well as the “pink-out” game for breast cancer awareness. The only two seniors on the team this year are Ava Wallit and Lauren Hardin. These two are considered the “big sisters” on the team, and are always there for the younger players, serving as mentors to look up to. Both seniors have been playing all four years of their high school careers, allowing them to be fountains of advice and encouragement to the other players. Lauren is not the only Hardin on the team, playing with her sophomore sister Emily. “It’s pretty fun to have a sister on the team,” Lauren says. “We can both support each other if we’re having difficulties, and we can also always practice together on the weekends if we feel there’s something we need to work on.” It’s always fun and heartwarming to see siblings play together in a sports season, which makes senior night even more special.

Another aspect of the upbringing of our incredible seniors are their parents, which help support them through each game and tournament. To recognize all the guardians of the players do support them, during senior night all players on the team will be announced along with the parent or guardian they are playing for, then the players will present them with a flower. The Hardins were presenting Kathy Weidner and Lee Hardin. “I’d say that my parents have a pretty big role in my life.” Lauren says, “They’re always pushing me to do my best, and to be the best player and person I can be.” 

Our Bulldogs played against the Glenwood Springs High School Demons, who was their last league opponent this season. The JV and varsity teams were able to secure a win this game, with the varsity team winning all three sets. Following this game, the Bulldogs are beginning to close their season with few games left and regionals and state right around the corner. Good luck during the rest of your season. Let’s go Bulldogs!