Girls Softball Takes The Win

Kal
Mackenzie Gray pitching

The Palisade Bulldogs softball team hosted their game at Colorado Mesa University against the Eagle Valley Devils. The opening of the matchup was tough against the teams. In the first inning the Bulldogs scored a run which allowed them to start their early lead in the game. The highlight of the Bulldogs was their defense and extreme focus on the field. The Bulldogs did not allow a single point in the first four innings. The Bulldogs starting pitcher, Sophomore Mackenzie Gray was the heart of the defense in the game and showcased her excellence, confidence and focus on the pitcher’s mound. Mackenzie Gray pitched eleven strike outs. In the fourth inning the Bulldogs came out on offense with aggression on the batting play and were able to score five runs on Eagle Valley. 

With the game coming to an end the excitement arised. Eagle Valley finally started putting points on the board after five innings. Palisade defense held them again in the sixth inning allowing no points being scored. With the final inning Eagle Valley managed to put four points on the board with the score being 7-6. Palisade on defense, Eagle valley had two outs. a base runner from the Devils was caught off guard and was tagged out at third base ending the game with a Bulldogs victory.

After the game we had a chance to interview the starting pitcher Mackenzie Gray. In the heat of the game there were many ups and downs, but Mackenzie Gray did a great job keeping the team together. “We had really good focus as a team which allowed everyone to battle in the last inning,” said Mackenzie Gray. A very young leader that will have a bright future here at Palisade. The girls softball team goes on the road September 8th at Berthoud for a tournament. We wish the Bulldogs luck and we hope they come back home with a win.