Burning Man festival and its unexpected weather

An installation assembled by a Burner Photo provided by Sophia Dery

The Nevada desert showcases the Burning Man festival annually to unite ‘Burners’ in a clash of art, self-expression and creativity run wild. Unfortunately, thousands of attendees remain trapped in the dusty wasteland of Black Rock City, NV. 

Similar to Woodstock and unlike Coachella, Burning Man is a nine-day festival that takes place on August 27th through September 4th. Loyal ‘burners’ describe the gathering as an opportunity to bond with fellow artists and thinkers. Senior Sophia Dery is planning on attending Burning Man next summer. “It’s such a celebration of culture and what it means to be human. It’s something I’ve wanted to experience since I was young.” Dery adds, “It becomes a fully working city. There’s a post service with mail. I am volunteering and being a little mailwoman!” The collective lifestyle quickly shifts to a wave of open-mindedness and spirituality. Many artists attend the festival to trade, connect, get inspired and showcase their talents. “They have this big open area where it’s just these huge sculptures and statues. You bring something to share. This links with the fact that there’s no money system. The only things you pay for are coffee and ice. It’s a huge trade system,” explains Dery. 

This year’s festival was foiled due to heavy rains, which created thick-ankle deep mud that adhered to campers and their vehicles. Burning Man is held on playa, a type of dry lake beds that rain can quickly soak. This is how even the slightest setback can ruin the whole experience. The weather situation is not affecting Dery’s plans. “It’s a lesson on how to be prepared. I know someone that’s there now. He’s in a huge camper with two months worth of canned food. Meanwhile, everyone else is freaking out.” Some fled the site and left their belongings. However, most proceeded to camp out and follow the authorities suggestions of staying put. Either way, steadfast Burners definitely partook in an irreplaceable adventure.