Content Tutoring is Back

Mr.+Hayward+and+Mr.+Howard+
Emily Hardin
Mr. Hayward and Mr. Howard

As Palisade High School heads into the fourth week of school, the back-to-school excitement decreases, as students deal with the stress of schoolwork and the motivation to get good grades, one of those motivators being content tutoring. Content tutoring happens during the first half of lunch and is for Juniors and Seniors on Tuesdays and Wednesdays if they have a D or an F in one of their classes. Mr. Howard, the assistant principal at Palisade is one of the key parts in making this program successful. Mr. Howard states, “Content tutoring is a program built in the school day that gives students the opportunity to improve their grade so ideally they do not have to retake the class the next semester.  Each week a new list is run so if a student’s grade has improved from a D or an F to a C or above then they are off that list for the week and they can get extended lunch.” This program started 15 years ago in 2008 when Palisade started the PACK program. The idea was a staff /teacher-driven program stemming from the goal of wanting to offer students something during the school day that they can use to improve their grades as well as using it as a way to motivate students to get their grades up so they can get their full lunch. Mr. Howard says, “ Our goal is that no one is content tutoring. However, if they do need it, it’s there for them to be able to access their teachers and get help.” This program has been very successful and the number of classes the school has to reteach, due to failing, has significantly decreased since starting this program. Content tutoring is only one of many ways Palisade High School sets their students up for success making for a productive educational experience.