Golf Preview: Boys’ Season is in Full Swing

Jackson+Martin+putting+this+season+at+a+tournament.+
Provided By: Jackson Martin
Jackson Martin putting this season at a tournament.

What better way to start the school year on a hot summer afternoon than in the fresh air under the bright blue sky, on the luminous green grasses of the golf course. The Palisade Boys’ Golf season is in full swing, with a quick season starting at the end of July and ending in mid-September. The boys practice each day at their home course, Chipeta, and occasionally at other courses around the valley such as Tiara Rado and Lincoln Golf Course. This year, the team is led by three coaches, Jan Norell, Cara Korte, and an incredible addition to the season this year is assistant Matt Jones. Jones is a former Palisade golfer and the owner Golf Time, a golf swing simulator, so he’s well knowledged in swing mechanics and is great at helping everyone improve their techniques. The varsity team this year is incredibly interesting, with players from all different grades. “The freshmen this year are very promising and have good potential this year.” Says Jackson Martin, a sophomore on the varsity team. “We do have a much younger team this season, which is hard scores wise, but it should set us up nicely for future seasons.” Martin has been playing for two and a half years, and is also a member of the Palisade Boys Basketball team. Along with our freshman, the team also consists of several first-time seniors, deciding to pick up golf before their time at Palisade is over. “With lots of new golfers this season we’re doing surprisingly well. There has been lots of improvement and personal best scores so far.” Says Coach Korte. Korte has been playing golf since she was 5 years old. She was an assistant Girls Golf coach at Central for 4 years and a head Girls Golf coach at CHS for 2. This last year she joined the Palisade team, and was an assistant for both Boys and Girls Golf here at PHS. The boys season is off to a great start so far, and has incredible potential for their next few tournaments. Good luck to our varsity team today. Go Bulldogs!