Outdoor Wilderness Lab Applications

Students+learning+about+different+species+in+the+river+as+they+use+a+fishing+net.+Photo+provided+by+Brandon+Mhor.+

Students learning about different species in the river as they use a fishing net. Photo provided by Brandon Mhor.

Interested in camping in lodges and doing fun outdoor activities? Well then consider signing up for the OWL program. OWL (Outdoor Wilderness Lab) is a program that allows middle school students to get experience in the outdoors and learn more about it all while having fun. This week-long camping experience can’t be done though without some camp counselors. Because these are middle schoolers who have half a brain cell, OWL needs some trustworthy high school students who would be willing to be a part of the experience and who these young kids can look up to. Relationships that are forged between middle school students and high schoolers during this time are unique and most likely can’t be found anywhere else. “We are looking for mostly juniors or seniors who are willing to devote their time to have fun with these kids,” says science teacher Mr. Mohr who is in charge of the program at Palisade. “They do solar systems, wildlife, plants, soil, etc.” The camp is based in Gateway and the program is offering one during the first semester or second semester for high school students to choose from. But the best part? Students can earn 100 hours of community service for signing up as a counselor and half an elective credit. Mr. Mohr encourages all students to sign up and have a once-in-a-lifetime experience as a camp counselor. Talk to Mr. Mohr if you have any questions. Applications are due next Friday.