Female Athletes of the Week

Violet Gray, Laylah Casto, and Anaiah Zarate-Guajardo after regionals. 
Photo from Palisade Sports
Violet Gray, Laylah Casto, and Anaiah Zarate-Guajardo after regionals. Photo from Palisade Sports

We have not one, not two, but three female Athletes of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Senior Laylah Casto, Junior Anaiah Zarate-Guajardo, and Sophomore Violet Gray are three of our Palisade wrestlers who have qualified for the state tournament on February the 15th. Violet is in the 130 lb weight class, Anaiah is in the 110, and Laylah is in the 145. After an outstanding season and taking first place in regionals as a team by 150 points, the three are able to further showcase their skill and dedication as they head for state.

Taking a deeper look into the history of all three athletes, the girls shared their background stories on wrestling. “I have been wrestling for three seasons,” said Violet. “One of my friends was like ‘I think you should try wrestling. I think it will be a great way to get energy out.’” Laylah added, “I had a half season my freshman year due to an injury, so technically this will be my third year wrestling. I have always been on the tougher side of things and I have always wanted to wrestle, box or do something like that. One day my mom was just like ‘Hey, they are starting this girls’ team, do you want to be a part of it?’ And so I was just like ‘yeah.’” Lastly, Anaiah shared and said, “I have been wrestling since I was in about third grade, but I didn’t start competing until fifth or sixth grade. My brother was a wrestler and I would always go to his practices and watch him compete. I loved how happy and strong he looked whenever he won, and so I wanted that same thing.” 

Throughout their years, the girls have created a bond with the sport, as well as with teammates. “My favorite thing is the camaraderie of it,” said Violet. “It is an individual sport, but having good teammates leads you to accomplish what you didn’t think you could.” Laylah connected to what Violet had said and added, “If you are strong willed and good at pushing yourself, then you want to hang out with people who are like that. Wrestling opens that environment up.” Anaiah loves the connection with people that wrestling brings.“My favorite thing about wrestling is treating it as a sport. I am not the type of person who is like ‘I love the grind. I love the grit,’ I really don’t. What I enjoy is when we are all having fun and when you can feel the high energy, as well as making new moves.” 

These girls have put in so much work and commitment to get to where they are. Congratulations on qualifying for state!