Palisade’s Opinion of The Extended Thanksgiving Break

Ma

Palisade High School extended the Thanksgiving break from two days to a week. Palisade is very lucky because in most schools the average amount of days in Thanksgiving break is three: the day before, the day of, and the day after. The University of Connecticut conducted a study to prove if school breaks would benefit a student or do the opposite. Their studies concluded that Teachers found that it was more effective to give more 10-minute lessons than fewer 30-minute lessons. There are other benefits to taking breaks during school hours. It was proven that it can decrease stress, increase productivity, boost brain function, and provide opportunities for children to learn social skills. Educational experts suggest that longer breaks can positively impact students’ overall well-being, contributing to reduced stress levels and improved focus when they return. The decision to extend the Thanksgiving break aligns with a broader trend in education to prioritize the holistic development of students, recognizing the importance of balancing academic achievement with social and emotional well-being. The first person I asked about the break being extended was a freshman, Deangelo Rios. “ Having an extended break felt great. Being able to turn off all my alarms and sleep in was amazing but now that it’s over I feel kind of mad I didn’t do more with my time.” My second interview was with another student, Michael Ortizdelgado. “ Break was fun, I didn’t do as much as I wanted to but being able to just stay home and not worry about Algebra homework was one of the best things in my break. Also being able to stay up late was a big plus because I didn’t have to worry about getting up at 7 in the morning.”