STUCO’s Annual Food Drive is Full Swing

Hank DeFord
Joe Bravo wants you to donate to share some holiday joy.

Every year the student council holds a food drive to help the less fortunate in the holiday season. It started Wednesday and will run until Tuesday, December 12th. Boxes are put in your fourth-period class. The winning class will get the choice of catering from Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, Qdoba, and more. or discounted winter formal tickets. Second place will get the prize first place doesn’t choose.

The competition between classes is based on a point system based on the healthiest foods. Protein-rich foods like canned tuna, chicken, or nut butters are worth 10 points, low-sugar fruit is worth 6 points, canned vegetables are also worth 6, soups and chilies are worth 4 points, healthy grains are worth 4 points, and foods high in sugar, fat, or sodium are worth 1 point. I spoke to Jayden Ford and Makail Kofoed about the food drive. Do you plan on donating food towards the food drive? I asked, “Yeah of course, it’s an easy way to help people who need it, and there good incentive,” says Ford, “I’d really like some Chick Fil A.” “Yes I’m going to donate, I want my class to win and I want the reward,” says Kofoed. The food drive is done in collaboration with Burton Orthodontics who works to feed the hungry every year with multiple schools. In addition to the competition between classes the winning school with the most points will get a 1,000 dollar prize. This years food drive is lead by Adriana Swygman. Overall the food drive is an amazing way to give back during the holiday season and make a real difference in the community.