The Palisade Marching Band Dominates State

Gavin Parker shredding on the guitar at the state competition. Provided by Gavin Parker.

Last weekend the band finished off their incredible season with the state competition. They ended up finishing 4th overall which is an incredible accomplishment, especially considering the repercussions of having a new band director.

The competition was last Sunday and Monday the 29th and 30th. The band performed through the bitter cold and yet their performance was incredible as always. The band didn’t place as high as some previous years, this is most likely due to the new band director Mr. Marshall. Mr. Mason retired last year and left an incredible legacy with the PHS band. Mr. Marshall is loved by the band and is incredibly talented. “My favorite part of marching band is definitely the community, just being able to be with all those people is incredible,” says Eli Jordan, “State went really well it was a really fun time, we scored really well considering we have a new band director this year,” says Eli Jordan. Jordan is a sophomore and has done band both years of his high school career. He played the trumpet last year and played the mellophone this year. “When Mr. Mason started we didn’t even go to state I think, and with Mr. Marshall starting placing 4th in the state is just insane,” says Jordan.  “I feel like we just had a lot going against us like the cold made it to where we didn’t even do finals, and we just weren’t playing our best. With the new band director it’s a completely different community, but overall I feel likes it’s been positive.”Overall the marching band had an incredible season and continues to blow away PHS with their talent and dedication to their craft, and it’s only up from here. The band is ready to come back next year for an even better season.